Hi, I’m Neil, software tester. I’ve been working in software development since 2007 and have taken on various roles in software development and testing. Today I work as a Software Development Engineer in Test for a cloud-native clearing bank, having spent the previous five years working as a Test Lead for a global online fashion retailer.
My current thoughts on software testing:
- Prevention over detection or as the adage goes “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”
- Testing is a task, not a phase and those tasks can be completed by any member of the team
- Testing is exploration; automation is checking
- Repetitive tasks should be made repeatable and deterministic through automation
- Quality can only be judged by the user. As testers, it is our role to measure the product, collect and analyse the data and use this information to predict the quality of the product and help our stakeholders to make more informed decisions